A small rock in the Atlantic

All about the island of La Palma, in the Canaries.

Click for La Palma, Canary Islands Forecast

Sunday 4 May 2008

Fiesta de la Cruz (again)


Bride, groom, and bridesmaid


I was a little slow getting out to see the crosses this year, but I was glad I made the effort. The traditional crosses were much the same as last year (see http://sheilacrosby.com/fiestas/cruz.php ). But one street in Santa Cruz absolutely delighted me.


Wedding breakfast


For the last few years, it's been fairly common to have a few mayos or machangos beside the cross. These are giant rag dolls, something like scarecrows or the guys I used to make for bonfire night.


More wedding guests

Well this street in Santa Cruz was full of them. The display just went on and on. I tried to count them, but I got lost somewhere after 200.


More wedding guests

At the bottom end they, had a 1960s wedding, with bride, groom, and lots of guests.


The bride's mother perhaps?


More wedding guests

Further on, they had people picnicking at the Las Nieves Fiesta.


The picnic




I think he's hungry, don't you?

Including one man who had clearly overdone it.


And he was thirsty earlier on

Higher up there was a protest march.


The protest march.

With people watching it.




Watching the march, with the nibbles to hand

Higher up still, I found people fishing in the street.

Hope they got a good catch.

And at the very top, they had an entire Easter parade. (see Holy Week Processions)


Holy Week

No wonder they won first prize!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Bookmark with:

Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Facebook Furl It Newsvine StumbleUpon ToolbarStumbleUpon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home