A small rock in the Atlantic

All about the island of La Palma, in the Canaries.

Click for La Palma, Canary Islands Forecast

Sunday 2 August 2009

The fire at Tigalate, La Palma
The eastern fire just north of Tigalate, La Palma

The fire on the east of La Palma has almost gone around in a circle. I took these pictures just north of Tigalate.

The second one shows one of the amphibious planes from Seville in action. I believe they hold 4,500 litres of water at one go.


Amphibious fire-fighting plane at Tigalate, La Palma
Amphibious fire-fighting plane at Tigalate, La Palma

I have no more news from the west of the island, but when I went to Tigalate, the temperature was 32ªc and gust of a stiff breeze. This isn't good weather for fire-fighting, but it's miles better than yesterday's 40ºC and gust of up to 70 km/h.
Map of the fire on La Palma

Labels: , ,

Bookmark with:

Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Facebook Furl It Newsvine StumbleUpon ToolbarStumbleUpon

2 Comments:

At 2 August 2009 at 21:06:00 WEST , Blogger Unknown said...

That picture you took is scary. I hope you were using a long telephoto lens. I'm on holiday in Los Cancajos at the moment and have been watching the two yellow planes all day. I wandered up to the mirador that overlooks the airport and could see them refilling with water and taking off again towards Los Cancajos then circling round to the south.
The first I heard of the fires was when the bus to Fuencaliente didn't go on Saturday morning from Santa Cruz. I was planning a walk from there.
I don't speak Spanish but the pictures on the local news channel show burnt out houses and properties. What a shame and those poor people who have lost everything.

 
At 2 August 2009 at 23:21:00 WEST , Blogger Sheila, Canary Islands said...

I've heard both "a dozen houses burnt" and "dozens". Unfortunately, "dozens" seems more likely. Palmerans are pretty tough, but the forest will recover long before the people.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home